Monday 13 August 2007

Back home and a quick recap

I've been back home now a couple of days and I'm still suffering from a little jet-lag or is that just a reluctance to return to normal life? After we left Jackson I didn't get any internet access which is why the blog didn't get updated, so here's a brief recap....
The kids and I went White Water Rafting...that's me at the front on the left hand side looking like a drowned rat...the kids are nowhere to be seen but they are on board, just cowering perhaps... It was great fun but I was sitting in entirely the wrong position - I got drenched every time we hit even a ripple. Things didn't improve with the large lady who came to sit in front to Ride the Bull - somehow I still seemed to get wet.

We headed down from Jackson leaving Wyoming, passing briefly through Idaho onto Utah and Salt Lake City for the night. Attempting to rely on the SatNav system was not such a good idea as we ended up on the bad side of town...I stopped the car, locked the doors and consulted a good old fashioned map....ten minutes later we reached our destination. The following day after we had left we heard that there had been three murders in Salt Lake City while we were there. Gulp.
Then it was off to the beautiful Zion National Park which struck me as being the original setting for the Road Runner cartoons! It is real desert country around there and fires were a real problem. One of the things that Zion is renowned for is the Narrows
which is a stunning hike up through the river bed of the canyon. Unfortunately because of recent fires and some heavy downpours over the previous few days the river was fairly high, full of burnt debris and prone to flash flooding if another storm hit...So we only did a short walk along part of the river. The following day the kids and I did a longer hike higher up the canyon which quite frankly I found hair-raising as a single slip would result in death and when you're being accompanied by a pair of hyperactive nine year olds who would rather run on ahead than stay with their fretting mother....one's nerves end up somewhat frayed!
I could go on and on about Zion park, I took loads of photographs of the wildlife, the rock formations, the plant life and just the sheer scale of the place...

Anyway, there is more to tell, more pictures to show...Bryce Canyon, Las Vegas and Los Angeles! And of course the pimpmobile and the stretch limo....
So without wishing to sound like a cheesy US television presenter...tune in next time for another edition!

No comments: