Saturday 29 December 2007

Beautiful Music

I've just received a message from Dan with a link to the Cocteau Twins song Pur in it, so I shall embed it here for all to see...although it is with subtitles because it's impossible to hear what she's singing about. This is very much like listening to poetry - ignore what the words actually mean and just listen to the sounds her voice make - the words are pretty poor sadly but Elizabeth Fraser's voice is sublime. Interestingly according to her Wiki entry she suffered a nervous breakdown during the production of the album Four Calendar Cafe on which Pur appears. I guess that goes to prove that behind most great talents there hides a sadness and so often that sadness is some sort of mental illness. That said I'm sure there are plenty of talent people out there who are not the tortured genius, but that doesn't fit into our Victorian view of the artist.

Anyway, I'm rambling again...

Pur



And while I'm at it have some Sigur Ros - this band seem like the natural successors to the Cocteau Twins and even better when it comes to their videos. This one, Glosoli, is a beautiful film aside from the music.

Glosoli



I suppose I really ought to finish this off with a bit of Portishead, but it *is* still early (ish) and as much as I love Portishead they can be a bit depressing...beautiful, but depressing. I get the feeling that were I to be a teenager now I would probably be wearing far too much black make up and long black clothes.

Roo, if you're reading this no comments on our teenage years thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chickenlady, thought I would have a look at your blog after finding your question answering on B3ta quite amusing. I see you have just finished your degreee in writing which explains how your writing style is very easy to read and amusing. Sadly I am doing a science based PhD which is a bit precise and does not help in humorous writings! Keep blogging and contributing to B3ta!!