Wednesday 18 July 2007

Yellowstone National Park and no Yogi Bear!


I'm here in the USA. I've seen Old Faithful, the Morning Glory pool, a black bear, plenty of geysers and lots and lots of burnt trees. Yellowstone National Park is beautiful and strange too - the hot springs and other geo-thermal features are quite breathtaking (not least of all because of the stink of sulphur!).
Disappointingly there is no mention anywhere of Yogi Bear and Booboo - so anyone who grew up in the 70s and 80s watching the Smarter than Average Bear outwit the Ranger won't find them here at the real Jellystone Park.
So, having seen all of that we've moved on and now we're in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - a real (tourist) cowboy town....Tomorrow I'm off with the kids to spend the day horseriding. Thursday we're going climbing in the Tetons (yeah, be jealous!) so it's busy, busy, busy...whitewater rafting later in the week, a rodeo tomorrow night and sometime around the weekend I shall be slumped in a heap somewhere!

One of the things I've really enjoyed since I've been here is French Toast (posh eggy bread) - I would never dream of eating it back home in the UK but here, with maple syrup drizzled over....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! And I've been eating ice cream each day, huge ice creams - great flavours and toppings. Yes, I shall return carrying some excess baggage I suspect, in the shape of a few extra pounds...

No comments: