Friday 11 May 2007

Be Specific!

Today I have to get another chapter of my novel written. On Tuesday I saw my supervisor (some of you may know that one of the reasons I’m actually getting this novel written is because I’m completing a Masters degree and it’s a requirement) she gave me some great ideas and encouragement but she also wants me to push myself a little further…..

My novel is very much underpinned by eroticism - by that I mean that the plot and the language that I’ve used is very intense, sensual and yes, a good deal of it has this seething sexual tension which is unsaid, always just under the surface. So, the advice I have been given is to push this further by making it more apparent and specific…..my supervisor pin-pointed this exactly – “You have to have a masturbation scene”

So that’s my task for the day.

And it's not an easy one....Some of you may be thinking - What a great job! But to write about something intimate is tricky anyway, add to that the descriptive necessities - it can't be clinical, well unless it needs to be clinical....It has to be sensual, a bit of a turn on, intimate, in keeping with the rest of the book, in keeping with the character, further the plot. Yes it would be much easier if it was just a practical exercise!

Just thought you might be interested. I’ll keep you all posted on its development and effectiveness!

1 comment:

Gordie said...

I wish my supervisor would be that specific!