Thursday 10 May 2007

On Cute

It’s got cold here again and the clouds have dropped down too so everything is grey and dull. This sort of weather always makes me feel down – unless of course I’m wrapped up, out hiking somewhere and have the promise of a hot bath and warm fire to curl up in front of when I return.

But at least life is taking a definite turn for the better these days. I have started a new temping job which will last for the next couple of months – it’s not the most exciting of jobs, but the people are nice and most importantly it’s all on flexi-time so I can set my own working hours so long as I do the number they need each week.

I’ve also got lots lined up with my girl friends – evenings out, girly nights in and plans for lots and lots of gossipy chats. I was discussing only yesterday with a male friend (hello Paul!) the nature of women’s conversation – what we say amongst ourselves and what we say in front of men….and also what we really mean when we talk to men…..Our conversation revolved around a chance remark about being “cute” and how men comprehend that compared to women’s understanding of the term….

In the interests of better understanding between the sexes I will recount some of my conversation….

Being called cute.....

Okay...here's the truth of the matter - most women are conditioned by society to find cute attractive, or else to use the term to describe an attractive man. If women (and I include myself in this one) had the courage they would be upfront and describe an attractive man in the terms they really mean instead of the short-hand of Cute. So, when I say a man is cute...what I really mean is "OMG, he is knicker-droppingly sexy" But wishing to remain a lady I describe him as cute.

Handsome is short-hand for either too young or too plastic. Good looking is acceptable, but usually used to describe your best friend's boyfriend - obviously you can't say, Wow, he's cute! Because she will know what you mean....

If,however, women are out on their own in a pub and see some attractive men they will say amongst themselves one of the following phrases...
"Look at him! He could do me anytime!"
"He is just sex on legs"
"Did you hear that noise? That was my knickers hitting the floor"
"Do you think he'll notice if I go up and start licking him?"

Now of course all of these remarks are made only in female company. If in mixed company - especially if the Object (of ones affections) is present, then it becomes,
"Oh, he's cute"
"What a nice looking man"
"Handsome"
"Do you know him?"
I hope this has cleared up any uncertainty and misunderstanding.
When I think of more, or indeed, have more conversations with my girl friends I will post accordingly.

1 comment:

Gordie said...

Men with brains have suspected for a long time that women are much moreinteresting than they have been conditioned to be.

Take courage, ladies. Some of us will reward you.