Friday 5 January 2007

Goats should come with warning labels


The current goat count still stands at eight – no one has produced yet but the five Boer goats that look like these in the pic but with horns, are getting very agitated.

I went down to feed and water them yesterday morning at around 7.30am as usual; bright morning, the sun just coming up and the grey sky gently turning pink. It was very windy and it was all I could do to hear Jack Johnson on my MP3 player (I have to listen to happy sunny music in January – otherwise I would run away to somewhere hot with a beach, alone). I could hear the goats bleating from the top of the field and when I reached their stable at the bottom I could see the two smallest (Dilys and Daphne – I didn’t name them) standing on the back wall. When I got into the stable armed with fresh hay for the hayracks I got pushed about a bit as is usual when they’re hungry. Picked up the food buckets and managed to get out without any escapees following me. Filled up the buckets with beef nuts (generally fed to beef cattle but also suitable for meat goats – there you learn something every day!) and then re-entered the stable. Put down three buckets – very carefully as they all have horns and you do not want to be putting your face anywhere near a hungry goat’s head…..Then moved to the other side of the stable to put down Dilys and Daphne’s….only to have Daphne decide to get at the bucket by the shortest route – through my legs and only narrowly avoiding knocking me over. I think the wind and the bleating probably covered my swearing at the top of my voice….Oh, and here is a pic of the resulting bruise…..




And now the updated picture...taken today (11th January 2007)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Impeccable waxing, as one would expect. Well done!