Monday 1 January 2007

So, 1st January 2007…..

Well I’m just guessing what this day is about because I’m writing this back before Christmas….I’m planning to go to a party on New Year’s Eve and don’t anticipate being in a fit state to post what happened…maybe by the 3rd….

Anyway, a new year…new beginnings…new life….

As some of you know this time last year I had not long been the proud owner of three goats…the herd has gone up to the grand total of eight and six of them are pregnant….we hope. We don’t have a Billy goat here – too smelly – so we had to take them for a trip to visit the boys….Which was fine apart from the fact that Billy goats stink really badly…and they’re quite affectionate ….so when we visited I stupidly made a fuss of these beasts (some do look like Wildebeests and some sort of look like this) and Mr Chickenlady wouldn’t let me back in the car at first because of the godawful smell – a bit like very, very ripe goat’s cheese.

But I digress…the Billy goats…the first one we saw was called Basil and he was a huge white beast with a very large head and very large rest of him too. He stood in a paddock with four dainty looking dairy goats and he was the king of all he surveyed, so to speak. I felt a little apprehensive venturing into the paddock because he looked so big and mean, but gathering my courage in both hands I went in and was greeted with the lovely sight of one of the dairy goats deciding to take a pee. Normal, you might think, farm animals pee wherever they like…true…but they don’t usually have a large white Billy goat sticking his head into their flow of pee…and curling his lip up in a Les Dawson fashion…nice. The keeper at this point was more embarrassed than me – I was trying very hard to keep a straight face – she was red-faced by comparison and nervously remarked, “Well, at least human beings don’t behave like that”….Hmmm, I thought…she obviously doesn’t know the people I know….

So that was a few weeks back now and all the goats are back home and full of kids with any luck…time will tell – three are due in February and three in April. If and when we get the arrivals I’ll post pics….

1 comment:

Dan said...

Happy New Year!

May your shadow never lessen, and your goats drop shedloads of goat-lettes (I never liked them being called "kids")