Saturday 17 March 2007

Boy Band or Man Band?

Last night I watched Comic Relief – first time I’ve watched it in years and I was generally amused and entertained. Not being a big television viewer I was surprised to see that the same old faces were still churning out the same old stuff…..

I was really disappointed to see Take That miming to their last single…why?

Ok, I’ll admit it, I’m not and never have been a big TT fan – when they first appeared I remember thinking that Gary Barlow was rather cute with his bleached blond hair and tall muscular body – now all of that has disappeared…The other chaps look equally knackered and aged which I find really quite depressing because generally men manage to look just as good and in some cases, better, as they age, providing they keep themselves in reasonable shape….Maybe in the case of Jason, Mark and Howard (see, I’ve done my research!) they just had such a good time the first time around with TT that their faces are now paying the price…In fact, that’s the very excuse that Jerry Hall used this week – when asked why Mick Jagger looks godawful but she still looks fit (if the horsey look does it for you….) she said it was because during all those hard rock living days she drank only water, took no drugs and went to bed early….

There’s a quote somewhere about leading a good life without drink, drugs, cigarettes and going to bed early won’t make you live longer, but it’ll sure feel like it….

I think Jerry Hall’s secret is good genes, good make up and maybe an even better plastic surgeon.

Anyway, back to the miming…Take That, last night on Comic Relief…..

Why? Surely after all these years they can perform live? And doesn’t Gary Barlow play the piano and Mark whatshisname (sorry, the research didn’t extend that far…) plays guitar I believe…I could be wrong, probably am…But the point is, if they are a Band – yes, with a capital letter, a proper Band that tours and has fans – which we all know they do….Then why don’t they play their instruments and sing live? As a “Boy Band” it is traditional I know, to simply sit on stools and sing ropey ballads rather than provide something more aurally satisfying, which is why of course the likes of Travis, Coldplay, Snow Patrol et al can get away with looking pretty rough whereas Take That, Boyzone and the other ones have to crack out the moisturiser and foundation before anyone will let them perform…..

Hmmm….Take That ….I know they were a “Boy Band” – do they become a Man Band now?

I can see I’ve got two threads here….one about aging and aging in the public eye in particular, and one about real music and real bands as opposed to manufactured ones.

Actually, the two threads are really about the same thing – real or plastic….which is best?

Me, I’ll take real every time. It may not be perfect, it may be downright rough at times, but at least it’s genuine.

No comments: