Tuesday 20 March 2007

Endings, Beginnings and Quantum Physics

Some of you may know that I’m really quite interested in Quantum Physics (stop laughing at the back there!) I know and understand very little of it but it still fascinates me…Schroedinger’s cat and all that…The whole idea of time and how that is constructed also intrigues me: is it linear? It appears that way to us – a whole series of Now, one moment after the other, the past behind us and the future ahead. Or is it like a piece of string rolled up in a ball – so still one thing after another but at the same time parts of the string could be laying next to other sections – thus bits of time would be alongside each other….Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Anyway, the thing I wanted to talk about today was about endings and beginnings….Throughout life we reach the end of things – end of school, end of childhood, end of student days, and so on. Each ending is approached with either joy or apprehension – Hooray, school is over! Or, Erm, I’m not longer a student – what do I do now? Each ending signifies, naturally, a new beginning.

Beginnings are by their very nature, full of promise, full of new things, new possibilities, new opportunities. As we’re approaching Easter and Springtime it’s entirely appropriate to think about new beginnings and new life, blah, blah, blah…You know the whole thing….

But back to Quantum Physics….what if the beginning isn’t….what if you’ve done it all before anyway? Would you, or could you even, do it the same way again? I wouldn’t.

Next time around (if there is a next time, and not being either Hindu, Buddhist or a particular believer in the After Life and all that, I’m not sure there will be a next time, but for the sake of argument). Next time around I will please myself first and foremost – Katherine Hepburn said that apparently – always do what you want to do – that way at least one person will be happy. Wise woman.

Next time I’m going to learn to climb when I’m in my teens. I’m going to a big industrialised city to study. I’ll run away with a circus. I’ll dye my hair, never have it cut. And I will have written at least five novels by the time I’m thirty.

Do I want to do any of those now? Not particularly. But just imagine the stories I’d have if I had done those things…..

No comments: