Thursday 22 March 2007

Girls nights...

A while back I was considering the nature of friendship – both those in real life and those online. Human relationships do fascinate, confound and infuriate me all in equal measures. Tonight I’m off to have supper with my two oldest friends – the three of us were at school together and have known each other since we were all eleven – a considerable length of time, in fact apart from my family, no one has known me as long as this.

We have a huge amount of shared history with each other, obviously the school stuff, but also because over the years we have kept in touch – sometimes closely so we know what has happened in our lives. Yes it is all a bit like a Chicklit book… But there is definitely something to be said for having friends to whom you need not explain certain facts – they already know. The whole back story is there and we can remind each other of the daft things we did years ago – if only to attempt to ensure we don’t repeat our mistakes….

It’s also interesting that because of this long history with each other I wonder if we still see ourselves as schoolgirls? Is that the person they see in me? Or do they take on board how I’ve changed over the years? I’m always reminded by Jules that I had an intense hatred of the outdoors at school (based upon a couple of Duke of Edinburgh camping expeditions), yet Roo remembers the many holidays we shared throughout our teens where we spent most of the time outside and often hiking up hills and mountains or even one memorable jaunt on a boat. I’m sure we do all see and accept how we’ve changed over the years but equally it’s reassuring to be reminded of who we once were.

And these female friendships, unlike those with men are entirely secure - we don’t have the added tensions of sex and flirting. Although, that said we do talk about sex, sometimes in detail (don’t worry chaps – it is always very complementary). That’s what women do when they get together – drink large amounts of wine, discuss shoes, sex, who has got too fat/skinny, who is having an affair (they’re thin on the ground these days – people are either really happy or else scared and behaving themselves), and any of the latest gossip or even old gossip which we missed out on years ago….

Watch this space, I may report back on exactly what was said…..all names changed to protect the innocent of course….which is why I’ve used Jules and Roo’s real names….no innocence there….

Oh, and I’m off on a pub crawl on Friday night, just myself and Jo this time – busy social life at the moment – as ever the social life is like the bus service or policemen – never around when you want them and then three come along at once….Sunday night out too possibly – a friend plays in a band and we’ve been invited to the gig – we could be groupies! Only drawback is that the band member we know is called Kate…..ah well….

No comments: