Sunday 15 April 2007

Bars and cars

Jo has just moved into a lovely little house and to celebrate her move we went out on the town. Originally the plan had been for her to host a dinner party – I was invited along with The Flatterer and a couple of other people. For various reasons this didn’t happen, so Jo and I went out to try the local pubs….We ended up in one called The New Inn which was quiet when we arrived and then became packed out as the local rugby team came in to celebrate their victory over another local team that afternoon. Before long I was in deep discussion with the Winger about how rugby is a better game than football and within ten minutes of starting this conversation half a dozen other members of the team had joined in too….Now Jo is quite shy, I’m not – hence me chatting happily to the rugby team and Jo watching while looking slightly horrified – they did look a mean bunch but were actually very nice and very friendly. All in all it was a fun evening: quite a laugh, not too much to drink and Jo and I were back in her house (Alone) by 11.30pm. This morning Jo asked me if I’d noticed the dirty looks I’d been getting from one of the rugby wives….I hadn’t seen that at all, but apparently this woman spent most of the evening giving me the evil eye….Jo, being the brave sort had stared hard at this woman.
So today I was supposed to go watch the kids play rugby down near Tunbridge Wells….a journey of around an hour from Jo’s house….the M20 was closed at one junction and I got stuck on there in the 7 mile tail-backs…then I got caught up just after an accident had happened just outside of Lamberhurst…all in all the one hour journey turned into a FOUR AND A HALF HOUR journey! In beautiful weather – I could have been hiking, biking or climbing outside in the sunshine instead of being sat in a bloody car in traffic….ggggrrrrrrr! And I missed the rugby too.
Next weekend I intend to return to the Tunbridge Wells area but it will be to go climbing on the Southern Sandstone down there – just wait, I guarantee now that the rest of the week and next weekend will be wet.

No comments: