Thursday 19 April 2007

Writing my thoughts down

Unusual post this one – I’ve just written it and it’s really what would appear in my writing notebook – a discussion with myself – I have them regularly. This time I decided to put it down here…most of the time I can’t actually think properly, or articulate properly any thoughts I have unless I write them down…or at the very least talk about them, but talking isn’t as satisfying as writing….as much as I love talking to people, I can’t really think things through properly unless I write them down… So here’s what I’m thinking about this morning….


Sometimes sitting here alone while I write I feel like I’m going around in circles – never talking about anything new, the same old problems, desires, wants and needs just echoing around the empty space inside my head. Particularly when I’m working on the novel – which coincidently has to be finished (or pretty damn near it) by September – I do tend to go into an almost “method acting” mind set… The novel is a stalker story, a thriller if you like, but also a love story…The stalker is a woman – she falls in love with a man she sees each day on the tube on the way to work and the story is told entirely from her point of view. That feeling of desperate infatuation, an extreme crush, on someone you will never really know, someone you can never have, but you watch them each day, you hope each day for some small scrap of information, something that lets you into their life a little more….Most of us experience this at some time in our lives and generally it’s when you’re young – a crush on a popstar or actor, or even a teacher, maybe a fellow pupil….It’s something that I believe we tend to leave behind when we grow up and start experiencing “real” relationships…Or do we leave it behind? I’m beginning to think that we simply shove those obsessive feelings into a metaphorical box in the back of our mental wardrobes…And perhaps we get them out again when something major happens in our lives: perhaps what used to be called A Mid-Life Crisis….Certainly from my own experience I’ve seen and heard about men and women – but mostly men, actually – who become obsessed with a woman they can’t have or don’t even know…I wonder sometimes if it’s a safe way of experiencing the excitement of a new relationship without screwing up the existing relationship they already have with their wives…

And I guess that’s the thing – we all want a little excitement, something new and adventurous in our lives at some time or another…And if we begin to think that there is someone out there who will understand us better, find us more attractive, be better in bed, make us feel special, more loved, more desirable….well, sometimes that may seem worth turning your life upside down for….

In my novel this isn’t the case – her life is empty and he brings some colour into it, so she doesn’t have to give everything, or anything up for him. She's a far more dangerous proposition than someone wanting a fling which is why essentially I’m writing a thriller, albeit a slow-burning one dressed up as a love story…and yes, I do know how it’s going to end – that came first – there would be no novel if I hadn’t had the idea of the ending.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking, how do you let someone know that you’re infatuated with them? The reason I’m asking this is because in my novel she is unhinged and has a very skewed view of the world so it’s good to think how people achieve their ends with normal means – I can then consider how she would go about such matters….
And on this one I’m stumped – it’s such a long time since I had a crush on someone and to be honest I did nothing about it – well Robbie Williams was never going to ask me out, was he? And if I had a crush on someone today then I’d maybe do something practical about it – like talk to them, flirt with them and become friends until they could no longer resist my charms! But she’s not in this position – she’s still stuck emotionally as a teenager despite holding down a responsible job and generally appearing to be an adult.
If she ignores him and tries to play hard to get he might just forget her, move on and she’ll be lost, utterly crushed. So how should she get him to notice her? Or should she just wait until fate takes a hand and events take an unexpected turn…

6 comments:

Gordie said...

Actually, I think you had a lucky escape with Robbie Williams...

Casey Kochmer said...

I wrote this about mid life crisis.

It might help give some perspective to answer your question you muse about in the post.

Change is a powerful desire and people will try to change often by riding the coat tails of another :)

Dan said...

If I was reading a book that was going the way of woman meeting man, I'd expect to read that she gets the courage to speak to him one day, gets all flustered, he finds it cute, yadda yadda yadda.

If I was writing it, I think I'd put a twist on it:

---- Crowded tube train, they are in the same carriage. She's gazing idly at him across a sea of people, all crammed in, all swaying back and forth with the motion of the carriage. As the train leaves the last stop before her destination, her eyes glaze slightly as she drifts into a quick fantasy, her eyes still transfixed on her crush.

All of a sudden the silence that so often encompasses a tube train is broken by shouting. The voice is masculine and angry. Shaking free from the clouds of her daydream, she notices the man of her dreams screaming obscenities her way. "What the f... do you think you're doing? You! Yes you!" he's definitely directing his anger her way. Her face flushes. She panics.

"No!" the voice shouts again as our lady pushes past through the crowd that refuse to move, desperately trying to get to the door and onto the platform that is appearing at the window. "Stop!" The anger is still there, and the venom behind the words are clear to everyone.

Our lady fights through the crowd and onto the platform. The tube doors close and she's alone. The angry former crush is standing in the carriage which is now pulling away. His face is red. Why was he so angry at her? Just because he caught her looking at him? Was she that bad? That hideous that he had to create a scene? The tears roll down her face...... ----

And then play it off from there - He could see her pocket being picked and was trying to stop the thief but was unable to due the the sheer crush of the crowd. His anger was directed at someone who would hurt the girl he has fancied for ages and been too shy to approach.

If they see each other again - both possibly deliberately getting an earlier train the next dayto avoid seeing each other again - would they talk? Would he feel bad that she didn't thank him for what he did? Would she ever get to know of his kind act?

Chickenlady said...

Dan, I think you should have a crack at writing that up into at the very least a short story! It's always interesting to read that sort of thing from a man's perspective...More please!

Unknown said...

And I guess that’s the thing – we all want a little excitement, something new and adventurous in our lives at some time or another…And if we begin to think that there is someone out there who will understand us better, find us more attractive, be better in bed, make us feel special, more loved, more desirable….well, sometimes that may seem worth turning your life upside down for….


Damn! You've found me out...the shame.

Che

Chickenlady said...

Che, let's just run away together ;)