Monday 2 April 2007

The sun is shining; I should be working on my novel so what am I doing? Surfing the internet, listening to a radio show that was on first thing this morning, and writing a post for the blog….I’ve even got a couple of articles on the go – quite interesting ones too, but am I doing them? Nooooo!

Attention span of a gnat….

Constantly wondering what to do instead of work….Actually I read a very interesting thread on the Friday Cities website – this is the link, but it may not work as the website is a members only site and also by invitation only….and yes…I was invited! If you’d like to be invited to this very interesting site, drop me a line…

Anyway, back to the interesting thread, it was all about How to Stay Offline in order to work…A real problem for anyone working from home and even worse if you’re freelance because you use the internet for research. Fortunately when I sign into MSN – which I tend to keep on because it lets me know when I’ve received an email so I don’t have to keep checking – fortunately, anyone online is also working so although we may say “hello, how are you” and all the rest of it, we generally get on with our work….Or in my case, procrastinating.

Well the thread suggests using Temptation Blocker
as it’s free and will lock the internet for 30 minutes to an hour, thus enabling you to at least do a bit of work. The only way to unlock is to enter a long code so that should put you off. I can quite see how it would work – I’d have to use OneNote (which I use a lot) and take down what I needed to check up on, do further research on and so on and then save them all up until the window of internet opportunity opened again for me. Hmmm, maybe I should give it a go….Maybe there could even be an article in this…..

And just then something caught my eye outside the window – yes I am also very easily distracted…as it’s springtime all the birds are mating….and a pair of huge wood pigeons were at it in next door’s leylandii – feathers and tree branches everywhere. Maybe I should also install a timer on the curtains….

No comments: