Wednesday 18 April 2007

Speed Dating, Again.

Last night I went out with Jo to another Speed Dating event – I was Moral Support (or Chaperone…) again. This time she had booked into the 40-50 year old age group (she’s only just into her 40s although you wouldn’t know it). Anyway, we got into the bar, as before I was sent to sit in the corner, this time with four other Chaperones. Glancing around the room I felt a little uncomfortable – everyone in there had at least a decade, or far more on me…I think I was young enough to be the daughter of at least half of the Daters…..But, well, everyone is entitled to have a go…Although I did think Jo’s chances of picking up anyone here who still had their own teeth and hair was fairly remote….
The first guy she had to chat to looked like a cartoon character – one from the Simpsons, no, not Homer…He was short, round, wore glasses and all in all looked like someone you would go out of your way to avoid. Sad really because he might have been the nicest chap there last night…but somehow I don’t think so because while first impressions do count, if anyone has a dazzling personality then that comes across – looks aren’t everything and none of us looks model perfect – not even models before Photoshop has done its work…Jo didn’t tick him.
When the event was over I stood up and waited by the door while Jo went to retrieve her coat. I was pounced upon by a tall grey haired gentleman who asked why I wasn’t taking part (I’m guessing this is a standard chat up line as The Flatterer used one similar at the last event) and was I available? I told him that yes, while I was currently available I wasn’t taking part because this was the wrong age group for me, I’d be in one of the younger groups if I decided to do it…..I said this before I’d considered how his feelings might be hurt….He looked crestfallen and then very quickly asked if he and his friend could join us while we went to the bar next door….Fast movers.
We went next door and I happened to turn around when I reached the bar only to see that around half a dozen of the men had followed us in here but none of the women….And the two chaps we were with both managed to look like dogs with two tails – they were buying drinks for the Single Women!
The four of us sat down together and had a very pleasant time chatting about the usual stuff you chat about at the pub – jobs, kids, holidays, hobbies….And I think we maybe frightened them a little as both Jo and I explained that we have paying jobs, creative jobs (the ones that don’t pay), kids, Jo runs and swims, I climb and hike…And we even managed to fit in an evening out….Them? They went to work, watched Top Gear and …um…about it really….

So yes, Jo and I are fantastic.

Jo had ticked one of the chaps we had a drink with and she hopes he’s ticked her because she’d like to meet up with him again – as a friend…..But I think it's because she enjoyed having a man hanging on her every word and quite clearly in awe of her...I enjoyed that too! Hmmm, maybe I should start hanging around with older men!

No comments: