Tuesday 24 April 2007

Sex in the City? Sniggering in the Suburbs

Leading life as a single woman again after more than a decade of being involved with someone is not always easy or straightforward. I have a few single female friends and thank goodness we all understand and commiserate and celebrate with each other. At times my life does feel very much like Sex in the City – except it’s a provincial town, even if it is technically a city, and there isn’t any sex going on….But we are all hopeful!

In the last couple of weeks I’ve met quite a few people who are also single – not that any of these events could be described as Dates…at the moment I’m still leaving the dating lark to my friend Jo who seems to have really got into the swing of dating. It seems to be so very common these days to be on ones second or third marriage, or to have recently split up with a partner. I guess that’s more due to me noticing it rather than the figures having leapt in the last six months….

Sometimes it seems that most of the men I and my single female friends have met are damaged in some way – still hung up on their exes, bitter, nervous, untrustworthy, or just plain mad. That said, I’m sure we single women are just the same. I know speaking for myself there are days when I’m as loopy as they come – on those days I do try to avoid heavy machinery and crowds….There’s a lot to be said for introspection, but equally there comes a point when all of us need to stop thinking Me, Me, Me and just get on with life.

Now after the sermon, here’s a quick update on the latest events in my Single Life….and it is more Shagging in the Suburbs (I wish!) than Sex in the City….perhaps Sniggering in the Suburbs would be closer the mark…

Friday night went out with my single friend Eve – she used to work in the music industry so she’s very cool, sassy and even a little scary…We caught up with a couple of her (male) friends, both still working in the music industry. All way too cool for me….I felt entirely out of my depth and rather like an awkward teenager sitting amongst hip 20 somethings – even though we were all the same age….And we drank cocktails – well, they did, I was driving – probably a good thing as if I’d been drinking I would undoubtedly have made a fool of myself, which would have made for great reading here, but I would never have been able to show my face in polite company again….I was particularly impressed when the two chaps began to insult one another in Latin – for some strange reason clever men are a huge turn on….So despite what I said the other day about a crush on Robbie Williams, I’m afraid that would be only for his physical appearance – yes, I’m shallow!

Saturday saw me having my first ever experience of climbing outside on real rock….and what a fabulous time I had. I met up with another climber down at Harrison's Rocksnear Tunbridge Wells and I was shown the ropes! I managed to complete four or five routes, all very simple ones, but nonetheless I felt a great deal of satisfaction and a huge adrenaline rush from hauling myself over the rock faces and getting to the top. I didn’t take any photographs, sadly, maybe next weekend – I’m really hoping I get out to Harrison’s again…and that has nothing whatsoever to do with the spectator sport that is watching very fit young men without shirts move gracefully over the rock…..
Sunday I went to Bowles Rocks to climb again, this time with another partner, but again had a really good time, only managed to complete two routes mainly because it was busy down there and loads of groups were hogging the simple climbs.

So all in all a great weekend, the only downside being that I got bitten by some insect on Saturday at Harrison’s and it’s gone septic – nice….So yesterday (Monday) saw me down at the doctor’s surgery picking up some antibiotics…that’s me off alcohol for a week then….Probably a good thing…..

And it was all entirely safe - which goes to prove my point, that people in general are nice....if you expect them to be kind and helpful, they will be. I know I'm a born optimist and the cynics amongst you will be pitying this poor fool, but I'm happy to remain an optimistic fool.

No comments: