Tuesday 24 April 2007

Optimistic Fools

The optimistic fool…I’ve been thinking some more about that since I wrote it earlier…and maybe it’s not such a good thing…

It is easy to end up being taken for granted and generally treated in a rather shoddy way if you are of an easy going and optimistic disposition…

Hmm, this is going to get rather deep, I can see that…Okay, on the one hand it’s got to be better to always see the best in people and to be giving, kind and approachable – I think we all like to see ourselves in this way, certainly that’s how I’d like to think I am…

But the flip side of that is that you do sometimes make excuses for people because you like them and don’t want to see any bad in them – even if they are treating you appallingly – in fact I’d go so far to say that sometimes because of the general laissez faire attitude you end up actively aiding and abetting their bad behaviour – you allow yourself to be treated badly.

But then again, it’s not always your fault that someone is a total pig-headed unpleasant individual who lacks good manners and seems incapable of behaving properly.

I could muse on about this stuff for hours….

And what about when we allow ourselves to be treated badly because we have a misguided notion that if we allow them to do this to us maybe they’ll love us/stay with us/want us. Everyone wants to be loved and some people are not so good at choosing the right person to invest that love in….

And how do you know when you have found the right person to invest in, as it were? Do any of us really know? I guess we just go on faith and hope that we’ve made the right decision – a wing and a prayer…Now that makes me think of one of my favourite films – The Wings of Desire which was then made into the Hollywood version called City of Angels. The story is about an angel who falls in love with a woman and then decides to fall to earth. It’s a beautifully melancholy story and therefore hits all the right buttons when you’re in that sort of mood.

1 comment:

roo said...

Through the wonders of modern technology the elusive password has returned!!
now I hope that you have your foot up (up what is never specified!!) and that the seepage is at least now more of a dribble than a cascade! See I didn't use up all of my compassion at work (as I am so often accused of!) I do care!
Now I'm concerned about your most recent post - It is never your fault when an individual behaves badly towards you (unless you found somewhere to put that foot up!) the individual is responsible for his or her own behaviour and most have the ability to suitably adapt and improve it, should they chose not to, that is also their decision.
Now I have to have a hot bath as I discovered muscles I never thought could be moved tonight!!