Friday 16 February 2007

Cold Remedies

I have a cold, common enough this time of year, I don’t usually suffer from colds but as I have recently moved in with my parents who keep their house heated to approximately 100 degrees whereas I’m used to no central heating at all….Hardly surprising I’ve succumbed to something….

I’ve been looking online for cold remedies; in the past I’ve just taken paracetamol or lemsip and hoped for the best. This time I thought I’d see what’s out there that
is a bit different…..

Apparently putting Hydrogen Peroxide into your ears is supposed to work, it says so here and they also recommend vitamin C shoved up your nose too….I’m not sure I want to try playing with chemicals – didn’t take Chemistry GCSE, did Physics instead (and failed that….), passed Biology though! So that qualifies me to discuss cold remedies, hooray!

The Mayo Clinic recommend drinking lots of fluids, not alcohol or coffee or coke, but water – hasn’t helped so far, since I’ve been living here (around three weeks) I’ve been drinking about 8 pints a day just to counteract the central heating….They also recommend Chicken Soup…maybe I’ll have some later…

I’m really far more interested in the weird and wacky remedies like eating toasted worms or rubbing a slice of bacon on your knees. This one is good….

A Canadian cure for a bad Cold
Place your hat on the table and drink well from a large bottle of whisky until you see two hats.
Get into bed and stay there.
Warning: The resultant hangover could well be worse than the actual cold.

And from the same place,

Some Texan Cold remedies



Apply fresh cow dung to your chest in the form of a cross







Or
Wear the skin of a white Weasel around your neck






Or
Rub the bottom of your feet with Tallow and Turpentine and then hold your feet against an old wood stove












Or
Rub your chest with Goose Grease and Kerosene










Or
To cure a Head Cold, catch leaves in your hand that fall from trees in the Autumn











Or
Take dried frog skins and make a powder of them. Mix with fruit juice and drink.














I think I’m going to stick with lots of hot drinks and maybe a large whiskey later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only one cold cure that works.

Large quanties of single malt whiskey & bed.

May not cure the cold immediately but with the time it takes to a) wake up and b) get rid of the hangover, the cold will have gone.